Nicole Kornher-Stace (AKA: “One of the Most Amazing Writers in our Generation”), author of the acclaimed Archivist Wasp, its even more acclaimed sequel Latchkey, Desideria, and The Winter Triptych had the most MARVELOUS idea on Twitter/Facebook the other day.
She, like many of our clever, renaissance-minded friends, makes and sells beautiful things to augment her living. With the holidays coming up, she figured, we could all compile among us who makes things, where you can find them, and provide links, in a sort of cozy virtual bazaar, where the merchants are all friends.
SOME OF MY PERSONAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. Betsie Withey‘s WEARABLE TEXTILE/FIBER ART at TheFaerieMarket on Etsy.
(A while ago, I did a three–part blog called “Art for Art” about Betsie, with some of her friends and clients contributing pictures of themselves wearing her art, occasionally accompanied by stories and poems!)
2. Nicole Kornher-Stace‘s VEGAN CARAMEL SHOP at feedyourface on Etsy.
I’ve ordered from her when friends are feeling especially down and need something delicious FAST. I’ve ordered from her for myself, just because I was feeling the CRAVING. I will order from her again and again. But don’t trust just me. Just on Facebook today, a friend ours said:
“I can vouch for these omg!” – Kelsi Morris
3. Meenoo Mishra‘s JEWELRY SHOP at MinouBazaar on Etsy.
I got a pair of Meenoo earrings for my birthday last year–glorious! I love wearing them! And, most dear to my heart, my husband (then fiancé) and I commissioned her to make me my engagement necklace with a Herkimer diamond his sister sent us. She was a great communicator, fast, elegant, and skillful. I wear that necklace more than any other piece of jewelry.
Below you can see the earrings and necklace separately (with some Betsie flowers on both occasions!)
4. Alanya Belethil‘s ART AND JEWELRY SHOP at Belethil on Etsy.
I found Alanya around 2012, I think. I was (blush) probably “ego-surfing” for my name, and found the title of my poem “The Sea King’s Second Bride” linked to a beautiful piece of jewelry: wire-wrapped gold, seed pearls, and alluvial larimar, she said, in the description, was inspired by my poem. I contacted her and thanked her profusely. But, being a poet, I said, I could not afford to buy it! She sent it as a gift. It is precious to me. Her work is so intricate and elfish, as if a true artisan of Lothlórien were working among us.
Below you can see a picture of the necklace, “The Sea King’s Second Bride.”
PERSONALLY RECOMMENDED BY FRIENDS:
1. Kelsi Morris does Yarn Subscription Box (monthly, quarterly, or as a three month gift/trial), as well as learn-to-knit kits that have everything you need to complete the project you choose. PLUS: free shipping in the US and Canada! Find out more at KNIT ME!
2. Stephanie Marie Thrasher at ToYouFromMePinkyLee on Etsy sells “pins, stickers, prints, and other fun nostalgic flair.”
3. Jenn Reese sells T-shirts, stickers, et cetera, at Tiny Tiger Jenn Reese Designs on TeePublic.
4. Lisa Mscichowski at HyfisHouseofCharms sells CHARMS!
5. Daisy May Essentials is a shop that sells goat milk products, such as soaps and lotions. I was informed that they raise their own goats for the goat milk used in their ingredients, and comes recommended particularly for its lotions.
Recommendations from Amal El-Mohtar‘s Twitter Feed–many from whom I’ve bought before!
- Nonasuch’s Miniature Handbound Book Pendants
- Geek Calligraphy‘s Art Prints, Greeting Cards, Marriage Documents and more!
- Parrish Relic‘s Handcrafted Amulet Jewelry
- Sihaya and Company
- The art of Rima Staines, as well as the delights of her Hedgepress Emporium: home of books, prints, tickets, audio, and original artwork from Tom Hirons and Rima Staines.
- Wire-wrapped jewelry at Wyrding Studios
- The jewels of LionessElise
ANY OTHER LINKS TO SHOPS YOU OWN, OR THAT BELONG TO YOUR FRIENDS? Put them in the comments!